Hit a Home Run with Home Energy Savings
Batter up! Though it feels like summer just started, it’s already time for the mid-summer classic when baseball’s best players gather in one place for the annual all-star game. You may not be able to hit a fastball (or even a tee-ball) but you can become an all-star this summer too – an energy efficient all-star!
Tonight’s game is a reminder that the summer, and the opportunity for real energy savings, can easily pass you by. To get you started on your journey we’ve shared a few tips to help you take your home from the minors to big league savings:
- America’s Favorite Pastime: What is more traditional than baseball and apple pie? Grilling of course! Get outside and fire up the grill to enjoy your favorite foods, family and friends. Grilling also uses less energy than an oven and doesn’t add unwanted heat to your home.
- Call A Fan Interference: Heating and cooling accounts for nearly half of the energy used at home. Give you’re A/C unit a break by raising the thermostat 2-3°F and flipping on the ceiling fan. It’ll keep you cool and help you save up to 14 percent on cooling costs this summer.
- Go for the Changeup: Swap your five most used lights with ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs to save up to $70 annually on lighting costs. ENERGY STAR certified bulbs last up to 25 times longer than traditional bulbs and are more than 75 percent more efficient.
- Seventh Inning Stretch & Seal: Did you know that 30 percent of the cool air from your A/C is lost through gaps, cracks and disconnects in your air ducts? Don’t stretch your cooling system’s power too thin – insulate and seal and/or reconnect your ducts for better quality cooling and lower energy costs.
- Going, Going…and It’s “Audit” Here: Hit energy costs out of the park with a professional home audit. Find a qualified auditor to assess your home’s energy efficiency and learn where to make upgrades. By completing the recommendations from your audit you can save up to 30 percent or more in annual energy costs. Find an auditor today!
Now you’re up at the plate. Try these energy-saving tips today and never strike out with your energy bill again.