To Find an Energy Efficiency Contractor:
- Ask your friends and neighbors for references
- Make sure to use licensed contractors only –
- The Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy (DMME) has compiled a list of building Energy Auditors who do business in Virginia.
- EPA recommends finding certified auditors at the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET).
- You can also see if the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program and its specially-trained Building Performance Institute (BPI) contractors available in your area.
- Get at least three bids in writing
- Run your final list by the Better Business Bureau to check for any complaints
A professional energy audit isn’t free, but if you’re able, they can save you time, energy and extra savings in the long run as a result of their findings. For more information on energy audits, check out our Energy Audit page.