Where We Use the Most Power
- Heating and cooling, typically the largest energy users in homes and businesses
- Appliances, especially refrigerators, dishwashers and dryers, which together account for about 20% of all energy used in homes
- Water heating, on average 9 percent of all energy used in the home
- Lighting, the largest energy user in the commercial sector and 9 percent of power used in homes
- Electronics, an area where demand is increasing rapidly because of computers, bigger and more high-tech televisions, digital media and appliances
For more information on the biggest sources of electricity demand, visit this page on the Virginia Energy website to read more about energy use in Virginia.